The adopted codes required that all work must be inspected at specific intervals during the construction process by certified building inspectors. It is the Building Permit Holder’s responsibility to request inspections and receive proper approvals from the Codes Department prior to moving to the next phase of construction. At the completion of the project, after all final inspections have been made and approved, the electrical service will be released to the power company.
The permit holder will receive a Certificate of Occupancy or notice of final inspection to authorize Use and Occupancy of the improvements. Bedford County has adopted the 2015 International Building Codes as a building standard for all construction activities.
Please see the pdf links at the bottom of the page for more information.
*BUILDING CODES INSPECTION REQUEST*
All work for requested inspections must be ready for inspection at the time the request is made. Requests should be made one day ahead, prior to 3pm. Exceptions MAY be made at the inspectors' discretion when same day inspections are needed, such as pre-pour inspections. Inspections occur M-F 8:30 am - 3:30 pm.
All requests must include your name, a contact phone number, permit number, address and inspection type (i.e. slab prep, footing, post holes, framing, rough-in plumbing, pre-seal, insulation ,final, pool, etc).
You may send a text from your smart phone to firstname.lastname@example.org
How to TEXT MESSAGE to an email address from your smart phone:
- 1. Open your messaging app
- 2. Type the email address in the box where you would normally type a phone number: email@example.com
- 3. Type your message as you normally would and hit send. (Remember to include your name, phone #, permit #, inspection type and address)
(If you will require several inspections throughout your construction process it may be helpful to add BEDFORD COUNTY INSPECTION REQUEST as a new contact in your smart phone with this email firstname.lastname@example.org so that you can quickly send a text to the saved contact)
*HOW TO GET A BUILDING PERMIT*
Please submit _all_ of your paperwork in a _single_ email in legible, PDF format to email@example.com
You may also mail or fax your information to us:
Make checks payable and send all mail to:
- Bedford County Zoning Department
- 200 Dover St., Suite 101
- Shelbyville, TN 37160
- Fax 931-685-1337
*For all structures OTHER THAN A POOL:*
The required documents you need to submit as part of your permit application are:
- 2.Tax Card & Tax Map from the Property Assessor’s Office (931-684-6390)
- 3.Invoice/Quote (required if this is any structure /other than/ a home being built by a TN Licensed Contractor*)
- 4.Plans showing the dimensions, details and location of the structure on the property of where the building is being placed.
- 5.Septic Permit/Verification (931-685-2186) - Required for new homes and mobile homes, re-building existing homes, or adding more bedrooms to an existing home.
If you are a licensed contractor we require a copy of your TN state license and insurance information to be on file.
*HOW TO GET A BUILDING PERMIT FOR A SWIMMING POOL*
Documents required as part of the pool permit application:
- 2.Electrical Permit from Duck River Electric (931-684-4621)
- 3.Tax Card & Tax Map from the Property Assessor’s Office (931-684-6390)
- 4.Pool Invoice/Quote from pool company (if you, as the homeowner are doing the work, we will require at least 2 quotes from 2 different pool companies)
**Forms that require a notary must be signed and notarized and the original form mailed by US postal service to our office.**
*ADDITONAL FORMS AND FLYERS ABOUT BEDFORD COUNTY BUILDING CODES*
*PERMITS ARE NOT VALID AND INSPECTIONS CANNOT OCCUR UNTIL ALL FORMS HAVE BEEN SIGNED BY THE PERMIT PULLER AND THE BUILDING OFFICIAL AND PAYMENTS HAVE BEEN RECEIVED.*Important Notice: Office closed to in-person access but still open!