Bedford County Highway Department
The Bedford County Highway Department is responsible for the construction and maintenance of roads and bridges throughout Bedford County. Currently, there are 675 miles of county roads and 191 bridges.
Key Department Personnel:
Stanley Smotherman – Road Superintendent
Danny Ray Davis – Asst. Road Superintendent
Diane Forbes – Office Administrator
Judy Agee – Secretary
- •Installing driveway culverts
- •Cleaning out fence rows on county right-of-ways
- •Mowing right-of-ways
- •Providing adequate signage (stop signs, road signs, etc.)
- •Picking up litter on right-of-ways (inmate labor)
- •Aiding other governmental entities in projects pertaining to our office
- •The Highway Department is pleased to also give advice to property owners pertaining to drainage issues, paving of driveways, etc.
Statement from Highway Superintendent
"Our goal is to strive and maintain roads and bridges throughout Bedford County to the highest degree. Our department is a service to all citizens of Bedford County and we welcome any or all calls should there be concerns or issues of which we can be of assistance," said Stanley Smotherman.
"I am responsible for the construction and maintenance of roads and bridges. As Solid Waste Director, my duties include the day to day operations of our eight convenience centers throughout the county."
"It has been my privilege to serve as Road Superintendent and I look forward to the challenges ahead. With the continued growth that all middle Tennessee counties are experiencing, my primary goal is to continue to make our roads and bridges 'better and safer' for all motorists."